Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Forget Acceptance Speech, Lets Talk Eulogy

I have yet to figure out how I feel about this article in the Republican American, which projects the life expectancy of John McCain - it also throws projections of Obama in for good measure. I mean...to me...the article states the obvious - the older one is, the more likely they are to have failing health. So based on the calculations of an actuarial company, Sara Palin will increase her likelihood of becoming the first female president with every year - duh! There is a one-in-four chance that she will claim the chair in the Oval Office during a second term (if the duo is elected).

But, this article ignites a burning question - Does one vote against a running mate? With the overwhelming amount people coming out of the wood work to oppose Palin, I wonder if people will begin casting votes to rid themselves of her. Palin's approval rating in Alaska is dropping. Conservatives are pondering whether Palin should be pulled from the ticket. And even Tina Fey is over her. "I want to be done playing this lady Nov. 5," Fey told the public. But, she's not the only celeb up in arms about the gun-toting VP pick. Matt Damon says Palin on the ticket is like a "really bad Disney movie" in an interview.




For the first time I am beginning to challenge the notion that bad press is good press. In this case, I think it is furthest from the truth. People do not want to hear about Palin churning out the same key phrases. And I ask you, could she have been any more vague in her answer in regards to what newspapers she reads?

3 comments:

KC said...

I love that you mention her newspaper answer. That was awful. What I find interesting about the age thing is that it is an acceptable school of thought. Many are enlightened enough to know that a woman or an African American can be just as good a president as a white man. However, we all still have some legitimate reservations about the age thing.

Lauren said...

I think what's so scary about the "age thing" is the "Palin thing." I don't have any problem with McCain being old, I'm just terrified of the possibility of a President Palin.

MCD said...

I like your question about voting against a candidate. I feel like Palin's critics were Obama supporters at the beginning but now staunch conservatives are speaking out against her. As a VP candidate I think it certainly is less of an issue (but clearly thats the only way she could get where she is, she would never make it past a primary).