Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Smearing Lipstick

Smearing lipstick all over one’s face can be a messy situation. I know – I have done it accidentally. However, smearing someone’s word to suit your own benefit is not an accident. It can be down right dirty.

For the last two days, I have watched and read about the comment that Sen. Obama made on Tuesday at a campaign stop. Obama talked about facades that are used to cover up realities and in making this point, Obama said that you can put lipstick on a pig…but, it’s still a pig. Well…I am sure that I don’t have to tell you that the media is having a field day with this and people are sitting at home trying to dissect Obama’s comment and attempting to ascertain whether or not the Democratic Presidential Nominee gave a direct blow to Sara Palin after her reference to lipstick being the difference between a pit bull and a hockey mom. I completely understand the media circus trailing behind this comment, but what unnerves me is the unbalanced reporting that I encountered on this story. Thursday morning, I watched two cable morning news shows (no, not Fox). However, only one of them ran a clip of John McCain making the original comment that Obama reiterated on Tuesday. I think it is utterly irresponsible to run an unbalanced story, especially when the topic is intense enough to permeate the minds of the voting public. The Republicans must be pleased with the one-sided coverage, as it helps to fuel their demand of an apology for this supposed negative attack on Plain.

But, hold on a minute. Let’s say that Obama did take a jab at Palin in the political arena…When did we do away with the heavy hitting rules? Why is everyone running around asking for consistent apologies? I am sorry (no pun intended), but I like my politicians to be hard-hitting, as long they are swinging in the name of truth and a faded version of it. Or are politicians expected to be more cordial to female counterparts? Well, taking a look at the hand that Hilary Clinton was dealt in the game of politics – I seriously doubt it. No one whispered sweet-nothings into podium microphones when talking to her. No, instead they were brash. And, I am willing to bet that she was not toting any amour underneath her pantsuits when she was verbally attacked. So the Republicans, should not expect Democrats to greet Palin with a bouquet of long-stem roses and a box of Moose Munch. Maybe Republicans should take the hint and have her trade in her stylish pumps (which I do love by the way) for some combat boots, because this battle is going to be a heated one.

No comments: