Thursday, September 18, 2008

Say What You Mean, Mean What You Say

So, the Republican-American posted an Associated Press article on their website, in which Palin defends John McCain. Palin says, "it was an unfair attack on the verbiage that Sen. McCain chose to use because the fundamentals, as he was having to explain afterwards, he means our work force, he means the ingenuity of the American people. And of course, that is strong and that is the foundation of our economy." Why didn't he just say that? Was he too busy trying to glaze over topics, with as little straight talk as possible?

I understand that in the heat of the moment one can choose the wrong word. But, a seasoned politic an such as John McCain should know that the media and the American public are like sponges, soaking up every word and action. So, I have to ask... Has John McCain been stuffing his ears with cotton these last few weeks? Why did he feel comfortable making such a blanket statement when employment is down, the market is down, and homes are being foreclosed upon at an all-time high? I am sorry but, does he really think that the American people want to turn on the TV or read the paper, only to hear him praising the strong economy. Well, I'll tell you one thing the economy is certainly strong-arming the pocketbooks of America. I want to hear McCain's plan on bettering the economy.

I spent this last weekend at my friends wedding, in South Carolina, literally watching the gas prices rise by the hour. I had never seen anything like it. I left my hotel for coffee in the morning and the price of gas was $3.49. When I left the hotel again just before noon, the price was $3.99. And when the wedding was over and I headed back to the hotel for the evening, that very same gas station was up to $4.59 a gallon. Oh, let's not mention that the neighboring gas station was literally out of gas! Should I attribute all of that to Hurricane Ike? Or the strong economy that McCain speaks of?

He can spear me his continual attempt to distance himself from the Bush Administration and the negative economic state, by pretending we are not in a recession. I want to know how I can stop spending so much money at the pump. I want to know when the prime interest rate is going to layoff my already expensive student loans. McCain needs to channel some of his POW strength and just be honest with the American people instead hitting us over the head with vague double-talk. It is no wonder that others have to try and come to his rescue and clean up the verbal mess.

Politicians, all politicians have to choose their diction carefully. And Americans, all Americans have to choose their President even more carefully!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I cry for those people paying that gas.