Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I Want A Multi-Tasking Man

These days we all multi-task. We eat while driving. We listen to music while exercising. We chat on AIM while working. And of course it goes on from there. But, really I think Barack Obama is absolutely correct when he said "it is going to be part of the president's job to deal with more than one thing at once. It's more important than ever to present ourselves to the American people." Does McCain not understand that maybe he should spend his mornings in Washington and his evenings on the campaign trail? Hell, he can even speak to large groups of people via satellite these days - you know how someone appears on the Today Show and they are hundreds of miles away?

I'll be honest. I would love to say to my boss that I cannot work one day because I need to stay home and finish a research paper. And I would love to tell the holder of my student loans that I cannot pay because we are in or nearing a recession and I need to store cash in my mattress at home (I am joking). But, the truth of the matter is that as time goes on we cannot always pick and choose what we want or even have to do for that matter. I would not be happy to hear that the President of the United States cancelled an important meeting because his favorite football team was playing at that same time. I mean this sounds ridiculous. But is it?

But, this is what I really think. I think that McCain wants to buy himself more time to think about the crisis and have something solid that he can throw on the table with his name on it proving his involvement in bettering the situation. He wants to counter Obama’s introduction of legislature that aimed to curb the deadly mortgages that many succumbed to.

An article on CNN.com, highlights today’s chain of events following McCain's announcement and includes both the responses of Obama and the White House. I think that it is about time that McCain is rolling up his sleeves and getting himself dirty with the country's problem. But, I also think that the American people want to see him out there, on road, telling us how he plans to fix this mess that he was apparently so blind to, even up until last week.

1 comment:

Sarai said...

Your right...how nice it would be if we could all take a break, a step back, when things get too busy! Don't we all juggle many things in our daily lives? Sure, Presidents are human beings too, but you know when you go into it that you have the whole country on your shoulders. I do believe that McCain is just buying more time to collect himself and gain more stamina in the polls. I also wrote earlier in my blog that I think he wants more time to "teach" Palin how to speak on the issues...or for that matter, to teach her about the issues themselves (if thats even possible).